Happy Trails & Happy Tails: Petplan Pet Insurance Finds Family Trips Frequently Include Four-Legged Family Members

Pittman & Davis

Happy Trails & Happy Tails: Petplan Pet Insurance Finds Family Trips Frequently Include Four-Legged Family Members

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PRWEB) June 21, 2012

Whether the destination is sandy or snowy, traveling for many pet parents begins with packing up the car and piling in the whole family – including four-pawed members! According to an online survey conducted by No. 1-rated Petplan pet insurance of more than 3,300 American pet parents, 70% said they bring their pets along on their travels because they couldn’t leave their furry family members behind.

And that’s just the beginning of the journey. Petplan’s survey reveals that 53% of pet parents purchase a souvenir for furry friends as mementos of the trip. Keepsakes range from locally made treats and destination-themed T-shirts to swankier souvenirs like monogrammed luggage, cozy blankets and beds, and custom collars – a few families even purchased motor homes just so their pets could come along for the ride.

According to the survey, 79% of pet parents estimate they will spend up to $ 20 on that special souvenir for their pets; 15% will spend up to $ 50; and 6% will spend more than that – the sky’s the limit!

But paw-picked presents are not the only way pet parents include their four-legged family members in their travel preparations, according to survey results:

Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – When it comes to their pets’ travel expenses, 44% of respondents would be willing to spend up to $ 150 to keep their pets close; 31% estimate spending up to $ 500, and 12% say they’d spend even more – anything to include Fido and Fluffy in the fun.

Planes, Trains and … Helicopters? – 97% of surveyed pet parents reported that the most common mode of transportation for their four-legged friends is the family car, but plenty also include kitties and canines when traveling by mobile home (56%), train (28%) or airplane (26%). A few adventurous pets even arrive at their destinations by boat, private plane or helicopter!

Pup-ular Pastimes – When it comes to how they spend their vacations, pets value pampering and play equally. Pet parents ranked their pets’ favorite activities in the order of pup-ularity: hiking and walking (72%), lounging and pampering (72%), playing with fellow four-legged friends (56%), sightseeing (38%) and swimming or surfing (32%).

Forgive and Forget – 90% of pet parents who took the survey reported that pets who stayed behind from trips didn’t hold a grudge about it, greeting returning two-leggers with plenty of tail-wagging and purring. The other 10% reports receiving a cold shoulder from pouty pets, but most are forgiven when dinnertime comes around.

“Our pets are members of the family, so it’s natural that we’d include them when planning for family getaways,” says Natasha Ashton, Co-Founder and Co-CEO of Petplan. “The survey results reflect the lengths we’ll go to be sure our pets enjoy traveling as much as we enjoy having them with us. And whether your pets sign your postcards, or are treated with souvenirs from your adventures, one thing is certain – wherever we roam, our four-legged family members are in our thoughts and hearts!”

For more tips and information on safe traveling with pets, visit http://www.GoPetplan.com.


Top-rated pet insurance provider, Petplan, is the only pet insurance company to have been included on Inc. Magazine’s list of 500 fastest-growing, privately held companies in America. Petplan’s fully customizable dog insurance and cat insurance policies provide coverage for all hereditary and congenital conditions for the life of the pet as standard, and meet the coverage requirements and budget for pets of all/any age. Petplan policies are underwritten by AGCS Marine Insurance Company, a member of the Allianz Group, rated A+ by A.M. Best (2011). For information, about Petplan pet insurance, visit http://www.GoPetplan.com, read the Petplan Pet Insurance Blog, or call 1-866-467-3875.

Vocus©Copyright 1997-

, Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.
Vocus, PRWeb, and Publicity Wire are trademarks or registered trademarks of Vocus, Inc. or Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.

about the author

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.